MFA Application Requirements
In addition to the graduate application form here, additional materials listed below must be submitted to the University:
- Artist statement.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Statement of intent (500 words minimum) explaining how a Master of Fine Arts degree can help you achieve your career goals and why you believe SUVA is the right school for you.
- Portfolio demonstrating proficiency in one or more of the following areas:
- Graphic Design, Painting and Illustration, Photography: 20 digital images, between 800 and 1200 pixels in the longest dimension.
- Motion Arts: Documentation of 2-5 completed time-based projects. Digital images, between 800 and 1200 pixels on the longest dimension, video, or web-based projects may be submitted. Include link to additional online works if relevant.
- Image list to accompany portfolio containing titles, dates, dimensions (H” x W” x D”), and media.
- Three academic or professional letters of recommendation.
Click here to download the recommendation form.
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities where you received a bachelor’s degree and all subsequent degrees.
Transcripts must show degrees awarded. If you have not yet finished the degree at the time of application, please send the most up-to-date transcripts available.
Submit application materials to:
Office of Admissions
Southwest University of Visual Arts
2525 N. Country Club
Tucson, AZ 85716
Incomplete application files will not be reviewed for admission consideration.
International applicants are also responsible for additional requirements. See Information for International Applicants.
To be admitted to the Graduate School for the purpose of seeking an advanced degree you must be a graduate of an accredited four-year college or university. All other admission eligibility requirements are determined by each school or department.
International candidates for admission to a graduate program whose first language is not English must present an official IELTS score of 6.0 or a TOEFL score of 550 or above for paper-based, or 80 for the internet-based exam.
All international applicants must provide a complete, notarized transcript from every school attended at the postsecondary level. Each transcript must be translated into English by a certified translator and the translation must be notarized. International applicants to the graduate programs are also required to submit a Document-by-Document report from World Education Services (WES). It is the applicant's responsibility to contract with WES directly for this service. Instruction and application can be obtained directly from:
World Education Services
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
The University requires that international applicants submit proof of sufficient available funds to cover all of your educational and personal expenses while studying at Southwest University of Visual Arts. This is referred to as a Certification of Finances. A Certification of Finances form is sent upon receipt of application. This form must be completed in English and notarized by a bank official. This statement must declare the availability of funds to cover the costs of each year of education and personal expenses. The I-20 form cannot be issued without a valid Certification of Finances.